Balancing Your Chakras With Essential Oils
Root chakra essential oils can be used for balancing and grounding. Located at the base of the spine, the root chakra is associated with survival issues, self preservation instinct, and the fight or flight response. On the physical level, the root chakra is associated with adrenal glands, the skeletal structure, teeth, large intestine, kidneys, and the blood. On the emotional level, root chakra imbalance may manifest as anger or rage, fearfulness, frustration, anxiety, and depression. On the mental level, someone with a root chakra imbalance may experience black and white thinking, pessimism or negative thinking about life. On the spiritual level, root chakra issues may show up as stubbornness and not willing to expand one's view point. Essential oils embody the frequencies and healing properties of plants. Not only they deliver certain properties to the physical body, they also work on the mental, emotional and spiritual levels. The following are the most commonly used root chakra essential oils:
- Sandalwood is considered a sacred oil. Its properties are calming, sedative and antidepressant. Used during meditation it can help to awaken life force energy. Sandalwood is gentle on the nervous system, it calms and harmonizes the emotional body and helps with grounding of excessive root chakra issues.
- Myrrh is also considered a sacred oil. This is an uplifting oil that promotes spiritual awareness. This oil helps to build a bridge between the crown and the root chakras. It has a gentle, calming effect on the nervous system, allowing for feelings of safety to arise. Myrrh brings us closer to our true nature, our essence, grounding us in this truth, and allowing transcendence of the material aspect of the root chakra.
- Frankincense, like Sandalwood and Myrrh is a sacred oil, or holly oil in Middle Eastern countries. This is one of my favorite oils. It has a lovely deep, warm, and sweet aroma. Frankincense has antidepressant and sedative qualities. It is a soothing oil, calming, and like Myrrh, it helps to connect the crown and the root chakras.
- Ylang Ylang helps to cool down excessive root chakra issues, such as agitation and fear. It has a calming effect on the nervous system, eases nervous tension, and is known to be a relaxing and sedative essential oil.
- Cedar Atlas, or Cedarwood, has a wonderful calming, woody aroma. It is used to calm anger and ease nervous tension This oil is also used during the practice of meditation and yoga. Cedarwood helps with grounding while allowing communication with the higher realms.
- Juniper is a purifying oil and increases circulation through the kidneys. On an emotional level, Juniper helps to break up psychological stagnation and free up constricted energy.
- Vetiver bridges the gap between the root chakra and the crown chakra. It is a natural sedative, with grounding and calming properties. Vetiver is my favorite root chakra essential oil for calming down overactive root chakra due to shock or trauma. It may also help promote restful sleep.
- Cinnamon aids the functioning of the adrenal glands, is a tranquilizer and has antidepressant qualities.
- Ginger is a circulatory stimulant and is useful when someone frequently experiences cold hands and feet. The fight or flight response constricts blood vessels and ginger can be helpful to move blood through the body.
- Cypress oil is known for its ability to harmonize the blood. This only moves blood and therefore helps to move the vital force, the vital energy, or Qi, through the body. Cypress is also used for strengthening of the blood capilaries.
- Carrot seed is one of the lesser known or lesser used root chakra essential oils. When used for root chakra balancing, this oil is used as a blood cleanser and a general tonic for the nervous system.
- The aroma of clove helps to create feelings of protection and safety and promote good sleep. Clove is also used for dissolving blood clots, removing stagnation in the blood.
Sacral chakra essential oils can be used for balancing and getting in touch with your emotions. Located at the pelvic area, the sacral chakra is associated with pleasure, creativity, sensuality, and emotions. On the physical level, the sacral chakra is associated with reproductive organs, kidneys, and bladder. On the emotional level, sacral chakra imbalance may manifest as rapid emotional changes, obsessive thinking, and emotional confusion. On the mental level, someone with a sacral chakra imbalance may experience rigidity, creative blocks, and difficulty with relating to others. On the spiritual level, sacral chakra issues may show up as fragmentation, dissociation, and deadened feelings. Essential oils embody the frequencies and healing properties of plants. Not only they deliver certain properties to the physical body, they also work on the mental, emotional and spiritual levels. The following are the most commonly used sacral chakra essential oils:
- Sandalwood is considered a sacred oil and on a spiritual level, it helps to reunite the spirit with the senses. This soft, woody, and earthy oil is sensual, yet deeply tranquil. Sandalwood is associated with the Empress, one of the Tarot symbols, which symbolizes the universal mother womb, where all gestation begins. On a physical level of the second chakra, this oil may help easy menstrual problems.
- Ylang Ylang, This sweet and tropical oil is known for its aphrodisiac qualities. It stimulates sexual energy and enhances relationships. It is both a stimulating and calming essential oil which reunites emotional aspects and sensual aspects of our being. The oil also has a calming action on the heart, brings back feelings of self-love, confidence, and joy in simple pleasures.
- Clary Sage, This warm, musky, and slightly spicy oil has been used during the Middle Ages for female complaints and kidney disorders. Clary Sage is both strenghtening and relaxing. Known for its emotionally uplifting effect, this oil can bring on euphoria. As the name implies, Clary Sage promotes clarity and is especially useful during times of emotional confusion.
- Jasmine Warm, with an exquisite floral scent and comforting sweetness, Jasmine has been known for its aphrodisiac qualities. Jasmine harmonizes sensual and emotional aspects of our being. It helps to reawaken passion and restore capacity for creativity. On the physical level, Jasmine has been used during labour, easing painful and prolonged deliveries. The emotional effects of Jasmine are profound as it opens the deepest layers of the soul, allowing us to get in touch with our emotions.
- Orange is frequently thought of as and oil of abundance. Allowing one to open the sensual part of the being and accept all the simple gifts of life. Orange oil symbolizes innocence and fertility. Due to its liver stimulating properties, this uplifting oil has also the ability to free up stagnant life energy. Orange oil can bring emotional ease, optimism, creativity, and adaptability.
- Bergamot, This sweet, lively, and citrusy oil will enliven your senses and encourage the release of repressed emotions. Bergamot is uplifting as well as gently relaxing. It helps to disperse stangant energy, releasing stress and tension.
- Rosewood, This sweet, woody, floral oil is known for its aphrodisiac qualities as well as for promoting hormone secretion. On an emotional level Rosewood relaxes the body, calms the mind and relieves stress, allowing one to be in touch with their emotions and senses.
- Neroli, also called Orange Blossom, with its sweet, delicate, citrusy aroma, has powerful emotional effects. It calms and relaxes the body and spirit. Its frequency vibrates at the second chakra and encourages sensuality, peace, courage, and joy. A natural tranquilizer, Neroli is often used for anxiety and shock from trauma.
Solar Plexus Chakra Essential Oils
Solar Plexus chakra essential oils can be used for getting in touch with your emotions and for balancing the third chakra. Located between the navel and the solar plexus, the solar plexus chakra is associated with the will and identity, the perception of who we are. On the physical level, the solar plexus chakra is associated with the digestive system, liver, pancreas, and gallbladder. On the emotional level, solar plexus chakra imbalances may manifest as selfishness, stubbornness, domination, and desire for power. On the mental level, someone with a solar plexus chakra imbalance may display cynicism, sarcasm, competitiveness. On the spiritual level, solar plexus chakra issues may show up as feelings of worthlessness, fear of death, or being stuck in the ego/person/identity. Essential oils embody the frequencies and healing properties of plants. These frequencies and properties work on all levels of being. Choosing essential oils is best done in consultation with a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Working with the seven chakras and their imbalances is complex as everything is interconnected. The following are the most commonly used solar plexus chakra essential oils:
- Bergamot, This sweet and citrusy oil encourages release of pent up feelings and helps to disperse stagnant life force energy. It may help to alleviate anxiety, stress, and tension. Bergamot harmonizes stagnant liver energy by releasing feelings of anger, especially when the anger is turned inward and manifests as depression. Bergamot is also known for its beneficial effects on the digestive system.
- Lavender is considered one of the most universal oils. Its effects go where balancing is needed and is often used as a "rescue" remedy when high emotions are present. Like Bergamot, Lavender encourages release of pent up feelings, dispersing stagnant life energy. It works to cool and calm an overactive liver, restoring emotional balance. The oil has a sweet, flowery aroma and is often used to ease insomnia due to overactive mind.
- Rosemary has been regarded as a sacred shrub by many ancient civilizations. Rosemary oil is used for digestive issues, such as indigestion, bloating, stomach cramps as well as liver and gallbladder support. This strong herbaceous oil is used when one is experiencing lack of will, lack of inner fire. The oil warms the soul and allows one to get in touch with an essential quality of inner strength.
- Mandarin oil is beneficial for strengthening of the digestive system and liver. With its sweet, citrusy aroma, the oil is gentle, relaxing, and promotes joyful feelings. When there is an excessive buildup of stress, mandarin can help disperse stagnant energy within the liver and release tension and frustration. A very gentle oil with sedative qualities, Mandarin has also been used for insomnia and irritability.
- Patchouli, Earthy, sweet, with a slight woody aroma, Patchouli is another oil used for easing digestive issues. The oil may be used when there is deficient energy in the spleen and pancreas areas. On an emotional level, Patchouli is tranquilizing, calming, and relaxing. It harmonizes the emotional center with the mind center, stabilizing the mind when excessive worry is present.
- Clary Sage, Herbaceous, spicy, and sharp, Clary Sage is useful in cases of weak digestion and intestinal cramps. On the mental and emotional level, this oil helps with clear seeing of what is present in the moment, it brings about clarity into situations, and helps ease of anxiety and depression. One of my favorite solar plexus chakra essential oils, Clary Sage inspires us to stay with the present and to seek the truth of who we are.
- Spikenard, Another oil helpful for digestive troubles, such as indigestion, flatulence, nausea, and constipation. The oil of Spikenard helps us to connect with Spirit, letting go of our strong ego identity, our need to control and overpower. In ancient Egypt, Spikenard has been used to ease anxiety, promote restful sleep and as a holy oil during meditation.
- Roman Chamomile, This calming and relaxing oil helps to balance the emotional and nervous system. Roman Chamomile helps the liver to release stagnant energy, purify the liver and to discharge toxins. Sweet, gentle, fruity, with a fresh aroma, Roman Chamomile has been used for centuries to ease stomach discomforts and to calm children.
Heart Chakra Essential Oils
Heart chakra essential oils can be used for awakening love, compassion and kindness towards yourself and towards others. Located in the middle of the chest, the heart chakra moves love through your life. On the physical level, the heart chakra is associated with the cardiovascular system, the immune system, with lungs, and upper body muscular system. On the emotional level, heart chakra imbalances may manifest as over sacrificing, selfishness, or lack of compassion. On the mental level, someone with a heart chakra imbalance may display too much criticism towards self and others, judgments, and perfectionism. On the spiritual level, heart chakra issues may show up as overwhelming grief, loneliness and isolation, and being stuck on ego levels of existence. Essential oils embody the frequencies and healing properties of plants. These frequencies and properties work on all levels of being. Choosing essential oils is best done in consultation with a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. Working with the seven chakras and their imbalances is complex as everything is interconnected. The following are the most commonly used heart chakra essential oils:
- Rose, The spiritual influence of Rose has been known for thousands of years. Rose has the highest spiritual frequency of all essential oils. It opens the heart chakra, allowing one to feel unconditional love. It is also one of the most expensive oils - in order to produce 1kg of pure essential rose oil, 4000 kg of rose petals are needed. The oil has a beautiful floral scent and its influence is calming and elevating to the mind, creating a sense of well-being. Rose awakens our capacity for self-love, self-compassion, self-nurturing when we are dealing with emotional wounds.
- Neroli, This sweet, citrusy, and floral essential oil is a natural tranquilizer and regulator of the nervous system. Its vibrational frequency aids to open the heart chakra, harmonizing mind and emotions, while uplifting the spirit. Neroli is comforting and encourages confidence, strength, courage, joy, and peace. On the physical level, Neroli is said to regulate the rhythm of the heart.
- Everlasting, Also known as Helichrysum or Immortelle, Everlasting is highly regarded for its benefits on the circulatory system. It is an anticoagulant and is used for bleeding, blood clots, healing of bruises, and to stop nose bleeds. The properties of this sweet, rich, fruity oil are uplifting and can cut through the hardened shell around the heart, allowing one to reach forgiveness and healing. By loosening deeply held pain deep within the psyche, Everlasting can restore compassion towards self and others.
- Lemon,Sweet, refreshing, and citrusy, Lemon is beneficial on the vascular system, balancing of blood pressure, soothing weak or broken capillaries, and lymphatic system detoxification. The oil lightens confusion, brings clarity, and uplifts the spirit. Lemon is particularly helpful in opening of the heart chakra to self-love and self-nurturing when one looses herself in a relationship.
- Yarrow, Sharp, woody, with a slight floral undertone, Yarrow supports our intuitive energies and is known for its wound healing qualities. On the emotional level, Yarrow releases deeply held anger due to wounding of the heart. This oil also has beneficial properties for "mending" of the aura, the human energy field. It can help us balance the "above" and "below" allowing us to be connected to the spirit and grounded on earth.
- Eucalyptus is an oil symbolizing openness and freedom. It is stimulating, decongestive, and soothing on the Lungs and the chest. It opens the chest area and allows flow of energy through the heart chakra. Eucalyptus is often used in respiratory ailments, bronchitis and colds. On the psychological level, Eucalyptus is a central nervous system sedative, it calms and uplifts the spirit.
Throat Chakra Essential Oils
Throat chakra essential oils can be used to balance the fifth chakra and for expressing your unique voice and inspired creative sharing. Located in the region of neck and shoulders, throat chakra allows you to speak your truth. On the physical level, the throat chakra is associated with the thyroid gland, teeth and gums, the jaw, hearing, and nasal passages. On the emotional level, throat chakra imbalances may manifest as excessive shyness, poor listening, gossiping, or dominating conversation. On the mental level, someone with a throat chakra imbalance may be unable to think abstractly or in symbolic language, and may have difficulty expressing themselves and communicating their needs or desires.
On the spiritual level, throat chakra issues may show up as blocked creativity, inability to sense subtle energies, and disconnection from the divine and inner spirit. Essential oils embody the frequencies and healing properties of plants. These frequencies and properties work on all levels of being. Choosing essential oils is best done in consultation with a qualified aromatherapy practitioner. The following are the most commonly used throat chakra essential oils:
- Frankincense is one of my favorite essential oils. It has a high spiritual frequency and it is regarded as Holy oil. For throat chakra healing, this oil is beneficial in cases of under active thyroid. I have read a number of reports when people have healed their thyroid disorder with the use of Frankincense essential oil. Rich, deep, and sweet, Frankincense increases spiritual awareness and connection with the divine within.
- Geranium is used to calm down sore throats, clear oily skin, and move stagnant energy in the body. Creating a feeling of safety and security, Geranium helps us to connect with our inner life and our emotional sensitivity. With this connection, we have more capacity for intimate communication and self-expression. Geranium essential oil helps to ease nervous tension and promotes a sense of well-being.
- Jasmine, Known as an aphrodisiac, Jasmine is also known as one of the throat chakra essential oils for its effect on the voice. It is used in cases of hoarse voice. Penetrating the deeper layers of our soul, Jasmine opens us up to repressed emotional pain, allowing energy flow through the throat chakra. With its sweet, powerful, floral aroma, Jasmine allows for greater communication of our feelings, enhancing relationships and intimacy.
- Lavender is an adaptogenic essential oil, it works wherever it is needed. On the physical level, it is useful to heal mouth abscess and oral thrush. On an emotional level, Lavender promotes peace, love, and awareness. When we feel love in our hearts and peace, deeper layers of emotional pain can surface to our conscious awareness. This is necessary for clearing of the repressed energy and allowing free flow through the throat chakra. Lavender is used when one feels her own creative potential, but is unable to express herself due to constricted energy flow.
- Sage has been known in ancient time as a sacred herb and a master healer. For throat chakra issues, this oil is particularly beneficial to heal gum disease. On an emotional level, the essential oil of Sage helps to ease depression and mental fatigue, opening up channels in the upper body and chest area and allowing for energy to flow more freely.
- Cypress is known for its decongesting and detoxifying properties. It is used to stimulate the flow of lymphatic fluid, clearing build up toxins. It is beneficial for bleeding gums, bronchitis, and respiratory congestion. Fresh, herbaceous, slightly woody, Cypress helps us with transformation and inner renewal.
- Peppermint, Minty and sharp, peppermint has long been used to freshen breath, for respiratory infections, and to ease headaches due to congestion. Peppermint invigorates and stimulates the mind and has a direct action on the intellect. It promotes creativity and self expression.
- Eucalyptus, Fresh, medicinal, with a woody scent, Eucalyptus has been used to calm inflammation of the nasal passages, clear sore throat, and sinusitis. The oil promotes well-being and opens inner space when we feel overwhelmed or constricted by our environment. It promotes the feeling of inner freedom and expansiveness.
Third Eye Chakra Essential Oils
Located above the bridge of the nose, at the brow level, deep within the brain, your third eye chakra allows you to see the inner and outer worlds. On the physical level, the third eye chakra is associated with the pituitary and pineal glands, eyes, and the brain. On the emotional level, third eye chakra imbalances may manifest as denial, delusions, nightmares, and fear. On the mental level, someone with a third eye chakra imbalance may have poor memory, poor decision making, and inability to think abstractly and use symbolic language. On the spiritual level, third eye chakra issues may show up as being spaced out, dualism, inability to see deeper truth and connections, distrusting one's intuition or inner voice.
Essential oils embody the frequencies and healing properties of plants. These frequencies and properties work on all levels of being. The following are eight commonly used third eye chakra essential oils:
- Bay Laurel, With sweet and spicy aroma, Bay Laurel is one of the classic third eye chakra essential oils. It heightens awareness and opens the doors of perception. Clairsentience, clairvoyance, and clairaudience are heightened and amplified when one uses Bay Laurel. In ancient Greece, Bay Laurel was also used to increase one's ability for divination and for prophecy. The essential oil of Bay Laurel assists in stimulating hemispheric synchronization - connecting the rational mind (left brain) and the creative mind (right brain) - leading to a more holistic perception and awakened awareness.
- Jasmine is known in India as the "Queen of the night" and is associated with the Moon and the rituals of magic and healing. The essential oil is very uplifting, allowing one to access the deepest layers of the soul and its repressed emotional pain. Jasmine enhance intuitive powers and our connection to the Universe. Jasmine has a sweet, floral aroma, yet it is very powerful in stimulating all of the senses.
- Palo Santo, Also known as Holy Wood, Palo Santo is commonly used in purification ceremonies and is burned as an incense. The essential oil of Palo Santo is used during meditation, cleansing rituals, and prayer. Palo Santo heightens one's spiritual awareness and connection to the divine. It enhances the ability to perceive subtle realms. The rich, sweet aroma makes it an excellent choice for feeling grounded while connecting to higher realms.
- Carrot Seed, One of the quintessential third eye chakra essential oils, Carrot Seed has long been known to aid healing of the eyesight. On the spiritual level, Carrot Seed essential oil helps us to stay grounded while allowing for clear seeing of reality as it unfolds, as it is in the here and now. Carrot Seed oil harmonizes the subtle body with the physical body, allowing us to stay present on the physical plane of existence while experiencing visions and spiritual insights.
- Chamomile, The key to understanding Chamomile's effects on the third eye lies in understanding its influence on the nervous system. Chamomile is calming and soothing, allowing one to see the drives and impulses of the ego. Chamomile helps us to see that the various patterns of our ego, our drives and our projections, are not who we are. We begin to disidentify with the ego, seeing it from a witness perspective. This disidentification is a major step towards opening of the third eye chakra.
- Rose, Calming and relaxing, Rose essential oil has the highest vibration, frequency, of all essential oils. The high vibration of this oil aids in aligning the subtle body and the physical body, creating balance and harmony. The oil stimulates and elevates the mind, while creating a sense of well-being.
- Clary Sage has been known through history for its ability to clear eye problems. This oil is also used for Autism, Epilepsy and seizures or seizure like activity in the brain. Also effective for headaches and migraines.
Crown Chakra Essential Oils
Crown chakra essential oils can aid in balancing and opening the seventh chakra to liberate the spirit and open to the Divine. Located at the top of the head, the crown chakra allows you to realize that everything is interconnected at a very fundamental level. On the physical level, the crown chakra is associated with the cerebral cortex, the brain, and the skull. On the emotional level, crown chakra imbalances may manifest as overwhelm, confusion, apathy, and isolation. On the mental level, crown chakra imbalance may manifest as rigidity in perspective, over intellectualization, slow learning, and attachment to materialistic viewpoints. On the spiritual level, crown chakra issues may show up as spiritual emergency, disconnection from witnessing, inability to understand deeper truth, spiritual bypass, and fragmentation. Essential oils embody the frequencies and healing properties of plants. These frequencies and properties work on all levels of being. The following are eight commonly used crown chakra essential oils:
- Frankincense, considered a Holy oil, is used for meditative contemplation, for achieving tranquil states of mind, and for attaining spiritual liberation. The spiritual and psychological benefits of Frankincense have long been recognized by many cultures and spiritual traditions. On a physical level, the oil of Frankincense helps with nervous system conditions. Because of the high levels of sesquiterpenes, a type of molecules that have the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier, Frankincense may help to oxygenate the pineal and pituitary glands.
- Sandalwood, Like Frankincense, Sandalwood is an ideal aid to meditation, spiritual contemplation, and prayer. One of my favorite crown chakra essential oils, Sandalwood aids in quieting the mental chatter of the mind, allowing the ego/identity/person to remain in the background and spaciousness arise in the foreground. It is in this spaciousness where clarity, liberation of spirit and soul arise. Timelessness, boundlessness, and deep unshakeable peace are experienced.
- Vetiver, A lesser known oil, Vetiver is an interesting crown chakra essential oil. It is a very grounding oil, calming and stabilizing, promoting relaxation and peacefulness. At the same time, Vetiver can stir up the subconscious mind and promote vivid dream recall. Dreams contain rich material that is hiding in the deep recesses of our minds and by by bringing out that which is unconscious, we become more free. The oil of Vetiver has been used to bridge the gap between matter and Spirit, allowing one to open up to Spirit, while remaining grounded and fully supported here on earth.
- Helichrysum, also known as Everlasting or Immortelle, has a very high spiritual frequency. Because of its high frequency, the oil of Helichrysum is known to cut through deep psychological barriers and aid in accessing higher spiritual states and dimensions. On a physical level, Helichrysum has been used to ease headaches and migraine pain.
- The Lotus flowers are considered sacred in a number of ancient cultures and spiritual traditions. In ancient Egypt, White Lotus was used in recipes for all spiritual and emotional ailments. The crown chakra, Sahasrana in Sanskrit, literally means "thousand petal" and its symbol is a thousand petal Lotus flower.
- Rose oil has the highest spiritual frequency of all essential oils. It enhances spiritual insight, transformation, bringing harmony to the body, mind, emotions and spirit. The oil is gentle with a floral, rich and deep aroma. A gentle tonic for the spiritual heart, Rose enhances the frequencies of all cells and of the subtle body (the aura and the chakras).
- The essential oil of Lavender is universal for all seven chakras. It works to calm strong emotions, release pent up energy, and allow for the life force to flow through the body. As a crown chakra essential oil, Lavender aids calmness and peace to arise during meditation or sleep, allowing one to connect with the Divine and with Spirit.
- Spikenard contains high levels of sesquiterpenes, molecules that can penetrate the blood-brain barrier and has been used throughout ages during meditation and to promote restful sleep. With heavy and earthy aroma, Spikenard oil, has been used for emotional balance and to ease of the pain of migraines. Like Frankincense and Myrrh, Spikenard carries mystical significance and has been cited in the Bible as an oil used to anoint Jesus.